THE FOREST SCHOOL is an alternative learning centre that believes learning can be a wondrous adventure, and that people learn best by doing. The programs offered are hands-on, and experiential in nature. They combine freedom with form and take place both indoors and outdoors.
The primary goals are to:
- Develop the whole child,
mind body and spirit;
- Nurture an understanding of the
interconnectedness of all things,
and with that an environmental
and social responsibility;
- Nurture/inspire an excitement for learning
and an understanding that it can be a
- Create a community that honours children as individuals, and
that values and respects the similarities and differences in all of us;
- Facilitate learning that is theme-based and largely learner directed;
- Involve the wider community through service, field trips and apprenticeships.
Painting by Ned Bittinger from the book When the Root Children Wake Up
IMAGINE a place where children feel valued and respected, are a part of a community that supports their uniqueness, that is gentle and kind, that feeds their curiosity and love of learning, and that helps develop their self confidence and self reliance.
IMAGINE a place that is grounded in a desire to nurture peaceful, creative, intelligent people who truly care about the earth and the people on it. The Forest School is this place.
Children aged 6 to 10 years old
Tuesdays & Thursdays
Children ages 10 and over
WILD AT HEART
- a monthly online subscription Zine, filled with hands on activities for helping kids connect with the earth, themselves and others.
Our school is nestled in the forest in South Gillies, Ontario, hence the name, "The Forest School". It started before the Forest School Movement became a thing, and the name became associated with a brand of sorts. So, although we share similar values, beliefs and guiding principals, we are not officially connected to FOREST SCHOOLS.